Udaipur-Top 15 Things to do
I visited Udaipur for the first time in the year 2016 in the month of September. The sun was merciless during the day and the evening seemed to undergo a whole character transformation with a relentless cool breeze. The city emanated a fluid-like transition between the traditional and the modern and for once the people didn’t seem to be in a race. I think I found serenity in Udaipur.
Udaipur was surreal, enigmatic and astoundingly beautiful. Udaipur truly feels like an ode to the opulent Rajputana. Walking through the streets of Udaipur, I predominantly had this feeling- That you may take Rajasthan out from the royalty, but you can never really take the royalty out of Rajasthan.
Rajasthan as a state only came into existence after the independence of India from the British Raj. Rajasthan is a combination of 19 princely states that were brought together owing to their geographic proximity to each other after Independence.
Mewar was one such princely state and Udaipur was the then capital of Mewar. Till date, Udaipur is a city that exudes a regal splendour in its demeanour. The street, the gullies, the lakes, the palaces, the forts, the people and everything else about this city is amazingly serene and regal at the same time.
My Top 15 things to do in Udaipur
1. Take a tour of the City Palace and get lost within its numerous crevices leading on to some other palace or quarters that are specimens of art in themselves.
2. Visit the Jagdish Temple, located very close to the City Palace and get mesmerised in its intricate architecture.
3. Or you may just wander the streets and get lost in the most vibrant paraphernalia on display.
4. Shop for everything so artsy on the streets of Udaipur.
5. Sit by the Lake Pichola and simply gaze at the beauty that this waterbody is.
6. Climb up to any rooftop restaurant in the area surrounding the Lake Pichola and get a bird’s eye view of the entire area.
7. Take a Shikara ride to the middle of the lake Pichola.
Udaipur is also called the Venice of India, I would personally like to call Venice, the Udaipur of Europe. Mind it? Take a Shikara ride to the middle of the lake Pichola and enjoy the views of the Jag Mandir, the numerous ghats of Udaipur, City Palace, Lake Palace Hotel and so much more.
8. Sit by the Dudh Talai and marvel at the beauty that the colour white is.
9. Head out to the Lake Fateh Sagar for a stroll.
Marvel at the massiveness that this water body is and just enjoy the silence.
10. Spend some time at the Balika Awasiya Vidyalaya at Dewali near the Fatehsagar Lake.
Balika Awasiya Vidyalaya is a residential school run by the Rajasthan Bal Kalyan Samiti that provides free education and accommodation to tribal girls from remotest parts of Rajasthan. Most of these girls are afflicted by the Naata System. Read more about the Naata Pratha in Rajasthan and this residential school for girls where I spent one of the best moments of my trip to Udaipur.
11. Visit the Monsoon Palace.
The royals of Udaipur had a monsoon palace perched atop the hills, also known as the Sajjangarh Palace. Legend has it that the previous capital of Mewar, Chittorgarh was visible from here. Named after Maharaja Sajjan Singh, this palace is an amazing vantage point to get an astounding view of the lush Aravali range that surrounds the entire region, the Fateh Sagar Lake, the palaces and the entire City.
12. Eat local.
Try the best of local cuisine and street food of Udaipur because they are simply delectable. Sukhadia Circle is one of the most chosen spots for trying out Udaipur’s street food.
13. Watch a sunset
Watch the sun go down from the Pandit Din Dayal Park also known as the sunset point. In the foreground of the Dudh Talai and Lake Pichola, this is a sight to behold.
14. Go on a movie location hunt.
Udaipur has been a popular choice for filming few Hollywood and numerous Bollywood movies. The iconic James Bond movie-Octopussy was shot across many locations in Udaipur. And most recently Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone starrer Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani also had some significant portions shot in Udaipur.
You may also like reading about my experiences of going on a Bollywood Movie trail- Chasing the Barfi Trail in Darjeeling.
15. Marvel at the beauty that Udaipur really is.
From every notable nook and corner of the city, you will get to see amazing views of the entire city and each one of these views are overwhelmingly beautiful. Simply indulge in these moments of splendour.
Like the post? Pin it for a later read.